Monday, September 16, 2013

There is no such thing as bad publicity



            Today, in my first blog post, I am going to discuss the phrase; there is no such thing as bad publicity. Publicity is defined in Merriam- Webster’s Dictionary as something that attracts the attention of the public or an act or device designed to attract public interest. The definition itself doesn’t talk about classifying it as bad or good; it only talks about getting noticed and bringing attention from the public. Personally I agree with this phrase I find that any publicity is good the important thing is being talked about or being in the radar.

            Oscar Wild once said; “There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” This quote is the best example of what I want to demonstrate in this post. Reality is, that the people in the entertainment industry that are more successful, are the ones who are in the radar no matter their actions. The perfect recent example is the one of Miley Cyrus.  Miley Cyrus also thinks there is no such thing as bad publicity and reality is that Miley’s scandalous VMA performance resulted in 306,000 tweets a minute according to The Guardian, Lost in ShowBiz. Miley, herself said that she most be doing something right because she is being talked about. The truth is Miley has received very negative comments, but from a commercial perspective this is gold. Miley’s singles on iTunes for her new album are in the top 10 after her performance, so if what she wanted with this was to promote her album, it worked. Recently she broke the record for most viewed video on Vevo with 100,000,000 views in six days.

             Publicity is done for getting the attention of others even though some people classify it as good or bad, I personally look at it as an important tool to get the job done. Publicity for the entertainment industry is one of the most important tools and the exposure Miley Cyrus had in the VMA’s was enough to put her new unreleased album on the top of the list.

1 comment:

  1. Francisco, I really enjoy reading your blog! Now, that you have enlighten me about publicity, you are right there is no such thing as bad or good publicity. One may think that what an individual does to gain attention from the public is either bad or good; however, publicity is just what it is...publicity! A individual is gaining attention from the public for whatever reason. This blog was very informative and I really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete